You can either run your day by emails in your inbox or you can run your day based on your own calendar. I choose to run my day based on my calendar.
Here is the trick: setup a recurring meeting in your calendar to do things you plan to do and mark yourself as busy during that time, be it time for focussed work or time for family, be it time for daily exercise or time for reading books. Time not marked in your calendar is the time you allow others to setup meeting with yourself.
Another important aspect is to not open your mail box till you have accomplished tasks which make you happy and make your day productive. Because once you open your mails and you see an urgent mail from someone else, you can’t stop yourself on working on that mail first. All the plan you, have setup for yourself will go for a toss.
Here are few things I keep in mind in setting up my calendar:
- Start my day with most essential things, things which gives me happiness (I am the person who eats sweet dish first)
- Have sometime everyday for reading books (both technical and self-development), these will keep you motivated and always upto date with market.
- I can’t talk about why this is most essential thing of your day.
- Have dedicated time for social media
- If I will not have this time slot, I tend to check social media throughout the day. Having this time slot signals my mind to only check social media at dedicated time.
- Have dedicated time for focus works (phone away, notifications off both on phone and laptop)
- I check email very late in day. If I check it at start of day then I will not work based on my plan but based on emails other people have sent to me to answer or work on.